Interested in tasting Chilean culinary heritage? Why not participate in the Festival del Huevo Azul an event that brings together visitors and the indigenous communities that seek to exhibit and protect this precious culinary heritage. The festival is held annually in the town of Río Negro, in the Osorno district. It is part of a Chilean Government project which aims to preserve the genes of the Mapuche chicken, which stands out amongst almost all other specimens by laying blue eggs. The festival stands out because during the event the world’s largest omelet is prepared with over 2,000 of these rare and exotic blue eggs. Prior to this an indigenous ceremony of praying and biodiversity protection is performed, accompanied by popular music.
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez died yesterday, March 5, 2013. If you are traveling through Venezuela right now your trip/itinerary will probably be affected. This is just one of many reasons why it is important to purchase travel insurance before traveling. It will protect you against the unexpected.
Reasons to buy travel insurance
1. Your flight has been cancelled.
2. Your bags are lost and your medication is in it. You need to have an emergency prescription filled.
3. Your passport and wallet are stolen, and you need emergency cash and a replacement passport.
4. You’re involved in an accident and adequate medical treatment is not available. You need medical evacuation.
5. You need to cancel your trip due to illness.
6. Your cruise line, airline or tour operator goes bankrupt. You need your non-refundable expenses covered and to get to your destination.
7. You have a medical emergency in a foreign country.
8. A terrorist incident occurs in the city where you’re planning to visit and you want to cancel your trip.
9. A hurricane forces you to evacuate your resort, hotel or cruise.
For those looking for good insurance companies I recommend this article: Frommers.com’s Top 8 Travel Insurance Providers. It gives you great tips on how to pick the best policy. We recommend (and use) the The Travel Insurance Center.
Ever wonder how to pack a suitcase like a pro? In article from Real Simple magazine experts reveal their trusted, time-honored solutions. Try out these tips on your next vacation and let me know what you think. You can also check-out more travel tips on the TIC Pinterest page.
The New York Times once again turns its attention to Chile’s tourist destinations. January 16th marks the 50th anniversary of the e legendary Torres del Paine! The 242-hectare park was created in May 1959 and is part of the National System of Protected Areas of the State of Chile. In 1978 it was declared a World Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO.
If you travel to Torres del Paine we recommend doing the famous ‘W’ trek – chosen by Lonely Planet magazine as the best multi-day tour in the world, thanks to its spectacular views and for being one of the best ways to discover Chilean Patagonia.
The newspaper published an extensive report on the national park entitled: “Chilean Patagonia’s Peaks, Up Close“. Click-on the links to read more!