The Spanish newspaper “El Pais” highlights several amazing waterfalls in the world. In particular it highlights Latin American waterfalls found in Chile, Venezuela, Peru, Guyana and Brazil.
Guyana: Kaieteur Falls, located in Potaro-Siparuni forests in Guyana, double in height Victoria Falls, and it is five times higher than Niagara Falls. It’s drop reaches nearly 230 meters.
Venezuela: Angel Falls in Canaima National Park. The water falls is 979 meters from the edge of one of the geological formations, the plateaus known as tepuis – oldest in the world. It is named after Jimmy Angel, the American aviator who in 1937 managed to land on top.
Brazil: The Devil’s Throat is the largest of the 250 waterfalls spread over 2.5 kilometers, which exist in the Iguazu Falls located between Argentina and Brazil.
Chile: Hanging Glacier suspended between two mountains at the Queulat National Park in Chilean Patagonia.
Peru: Salto de Gocta also known as La Chorrera, in the Amazon region of Peru. Its fall 540 meters making it the fifth highest waterfall in the world.
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez died yesterday, March 5, 2013. If you are traveling through Venezuela right now your trip/itinerary will probably be affected. This is just one of many reasons why it is important to purchase travel insurance before traveling. It will protect you against the unexpected.
Reasons to buy travel insurance
1. Your flight has been cancelled.
2. Your bags are lost and your medication is in it. You need to have an emergency prescription filled.
3. Your passport and wallet are stolen, and you need emergency cash and a replacement passport.
4. You’re involved in an accident and adequate medical treatment is not available. You need medical evacuation.
5. You need to cancel your trip due to illness.
6. Your cruise line, airline or tour operator goes bankrupt. You need your non-refundable expenses covered and to get to your destination.
7. You have a medical emergency in a foreign country.
8. A terrorist incident occurs in the city where you’re planning to visit and you want to cancel your trip.
9. A hurricane forces you to evacuate your resort, hotel or cruise.
For those looking for good insurance companies I recommend this article: Frommers.com’s Top 8 Travel Insurance Providers. It gives you great tips on how to pick the best policy. We recommend (and use) the The Travel Insurance Center.
The holidays is the perfect time of year to be with the one you love the most: yourself. If you are unmarried, divorced, widowed or simply apart from friends and family this holiday season you have the opportunity to be in the direst desert in the world or if you are up for a bit of adventure how about trekking Angel Falls, the highest waterfall in the world, or trekking Torres del Paine in the Chilean Patagonia? What about seeing the anaconda in person? Explore “solo travel ideas” and spend some wonderful time with yourself.
Have you ever seen/been to Angel Falls? Would you say it is as spectacular as the video portrays it?