Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez died yesterday, March 5, 2013. If you are traveling through Venezuela right now your trip/itinerary will probably be affected. This is just one of many reasons why it is important to purchase travel insurance before traveling. It will protect you against the unexpected.
Reasons to buy travel insurance
1. Your flight has been cancelled.
2. Your bags are lost and your medication is in it. You need to have an emergency prescription filled.
3. Your passport and wallet are stolen, and you need emergency cash and a replacement passport.
4. You’re involved in an accident and adequate medical treatment is not available. You need medical evacuation.
5. You need to cancel your trip due to illness.
6. Your cruise line, airline or tour operator goes bankrupt. You need your non-refundable expenses covered and to get to your destination.
7. You have a medical emergency in a foreign country.
8. A terrorist incident occurs in the city where you’re planning to visit and you want to cancel your trip.
9. A hurricane forces you to evacuate your resort, hotel or cruise.
For those looking for good insurance companies I recommend this article: Frommers.com’s Top 8 Travel Insurance Providers. It gives you great tips on how to pick the best policy. We recommend (and use) the The Travel Insurance Center.